Monday, June 22, 2009

RE: Racism In The Comic Book World: Dwayne McDuffie and JLA #34 Preview

The following is a post by comic book writer Dwayne McDuffie from his Facebook:

Here’s a preview of my final issue of Justice League of America, featuring the JLA teaming with Icon and Hardware in battle with Starbreaker. Don’t miss the secret of how the Milestone heroes ended up in DC Comics’ continuity.

I also suggest you take a look at some of the comments from your fellow comic book fans. Every once in awhile, I’m reminded how racially backwards a portion of our audience is and how important it is to… You know what? I’ll let them speak for themselves:

“…how many blacks did McDuffie manage to sneak onto the team this time–five? (I bet DC editorial gave him the same order as Burger King in that lawsuit–to “lighten things up around here.”)”

“Why don’t they call this the “Minority League”? ”

“I don’t think anyone will support an original black “mainstream” character. I know I won’t.”"Couldn't they get Static, Black Lightning, or one of his daughters instead of Dr. Light on the cover of BET League of America? Ha!"

“Maybe they should establish a separate league for all the negro superheroes. I’m not saying kick them ALL off. One would be okay. (Doesn’t Hollywood have some kind of law that says every movie has to have at least one black in it?) I just think they’re going overboard with all this diversity stuff. I mean, how many comics do minorities read anyway?”


Dwayne again. Welcome to my world. You know, the one where race doesn’t matter…__________________________________________________________________

TO Dwayne: That is definitely not cool...Man, are we still living in the 50's?? I remember reading comics, DC, Marvel, independents, growing up in the 80s because they were cool to me...it didn't matter to me what color the hero being featured...but obviously there are those who read them to see which "minority" is being thrown in the mix....WTF?? I bet there are some so-called comic book fans who don't want to admit that comics were developed by jewish artists and writers...that other minorities have continued to buy comics for years, despite what "statistics" say....That all races go to see the comic book movies put out by Hollywood.

I wonder if these racist comic book fans think that the millions of dollars The Dark Knight made came from an all White audience...as ol' Biff would say: think McFly, think!

To Everyone Else: This is just sickening. The great divide will happen someday. Until that happens, we had better learn to get along.

Comic books are truly meant to be our modern mythology, our method of conveying timeless truths, wisdom and justice in a way rarely experienced in our own world.

Me personally, I have faced racism from all ends of the spectrum. Racism in the church. Racism in the comic book world. Racism in Politics. Racism in the entertainment industry. Racism. Reverse Racism. Hate. Hate. Hate.

I've heard it all. From blacks, whites, Hispanics, etc. and I must say I can't stand it anymore. I'm tired of it all. All my life I have fought everyone, it seems, because people judged me for being either "like white" or "not black enough" or "too black for the job" and because I do not believe in judging others by the color of their skin or religious beliefs.

I have been known to leave the presence, even get up and leave a home, of those talking racist crap before I resort to popping them in the mouth. Violence doesn't solve anything but I will make sure to take a stand. In the end, of ALL our lives, all that hate won't matter.

We may take whatever feelings with have to the grave but, as we've seen over and over again, that it is the surrounding hate that stays with us.

If I am alone in this. If I do not have any friends both black or white because I'm standing up to fight against their views..so be it. They were never my real friends to begin with...NO "friend" of mine would be filled with hate toward another human being....I may know of a person...doesn't make them a "friend".

Of course, we cannot control others but we can control and limit ourselves to being subjected to views we do not agree upon.

All these "Little Hitlers" will soon find out that in the end...it really doesn't matter.

Torrence

No comments:

Post a Comment