Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Poem: Recollection (Of Life and Mystery) from Dead Artists Symmetry

Recollection (Of Life and Mystery)


I

I was born
The son of my father
And it was not long
Until I discovered
Experience,
My brother.

I have learned
Lessons of many
Thoughtless sorrows.
In my youth,
I feared death.
Forced to accept,
Expect
But never reject.

I held on to music
To fill my ears.
The voices and sounds
Of universal joy
And tears
Played within my heart
And within
These four walls.
Embracing my despair,
My fears
With all its love,
Its faith,
Its hope.

Through knowledge,
(Innocence?)
(Higher intellectual mind?)
I could never
Comprehend this calling.


II

Why was I chosen?
What am I here to find?

All these recollections
All this pondering.
I fall to the ground.
Asleep.
Here, in this mist of dreams,
She is loved.
And to touch her,
I am permitted
Yet nothing is there.
She is no more than
A mirage.
Someday,
This love will be revealed.

Now, I see faces.
Faces of those gone.
I have lost so many
Loved ones and friends.
Far from this horrid realm.
Memories of them pass my thoughts
Like a runaway film.

I see the others.
The ones I faced.
Villains of a varied cast.
At times,
Even my enemies
Have betrayed me.

Then there are
My teachers,
The poor, the humble
The strong-willed.
It is their deeds that
Added colors to my character.
Striving to be like them
And wanting to accomplish more

Like them,
I await my fate.
The never-ending journey
Into the mystery.
________________________________________________

“Beneath my face is a graveyard/All my days buried here…”
-“My Frontier” - Terry Scott Taylor/Daniel Amos


©2009 Torrence King. All Rights Reserved.

=============================================================
from the poetry-art book: Dead Artists Symmetry - Available Now

To view and order go to:

http://torrenceking.blogspot.com/2011/08/dead-artists-symmetry-poetry-art.html


No comments:

Post a Comment